Upgrading to Edgy Eft

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 29 13:11:52 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 20:10 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mario, it _never_ sounded like a good idea to _me_ (even though I
>> tried it).
>
> I might be barking up the wrong tree then - my reading of what you wrote
> here was different:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 13:57 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Now, I realize that I can't generalize from this one situation, but
>> really I think people should be encouraged to use edgy, not
>> discouraged.

Encouraging people to _use_ it - and report their experiences here - is a
long way from encouraging people to _depend_ on it.  You're saying people
shouldn't use it on a critical machine, and I've agreed with that all
along.  I do, however, believe we should be encouraging _everybody_ to use
it on non-critical machines (not _pushing_ people to use it, just
encouraging).

>> And I still say that if the developers expect it to be that serious,
>> the edgy archive shouldn't be open to just anybody.
>
> That's just unreasonable. Even if the devs wanted to do this, it would
> be against the whole FLOSS culture.

It's neither unreasonable nor against the FLOSS culture.  I didn't say "lock
it up until it's ready for release" or even to lock it up very securely.
If, as you insist, it's too hazardous for anyone to use until the merge is
complete, then the archive shouldn't be open _until_ the merge is complete.
As for being "locked", simply password protecting it with a password that
anybody can get by going to a page with warnings is good enough for me (not
even something that would try to force users to _read_ the warnings).
--
derek