Updating from CD: Info 1.

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Wed Jun 28 15:25:49 UTC 2006

Well I went home last night, create a cd from the ISO for the Alternate
install CD.

Went in and  updated my etc/apt/sources.list

Did the apt-cdrom add
Then the sudo  apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It seem to be a bit fussy with the following responses:
(removed the top portion of repsonses)
<snip>
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com
dapper-updates/universe Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper-updates_unive
rse_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://archive.ubuntu.com
dapper-updates/multiverse Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper-updates_multi
verse_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead. root at hope:/home/goshawk #
</snip>

What I think is that I should have commented out the http references in
the sources.list when attempting this.

I did however go to the ubuntu update manager and it gave me a list of
things it could not update but did update a fair number of packages from
the cd so I believe I made some progress.

I'm going to reattempt to do the update tonight, this time I'll be on
line however as my daughter was hogging the phone last night. :-)

But anyway, so far so good.

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com