problem copying larg amounts of data

Damien Hull dhull at digitaloverload.net
Wed Jun 28 11:10:22 UTC 2006

Here's what I've got.

   1. Ubuntu Dapper (server edition)
   2. Did a LAMP install
   3. Supermicro hardware
   4. 3ware sata raid card ( other distributions didn't see the drives
      :-)  )
   5. 1.5 TB of storage (RAID 10)

This new server is going to replace an old Debian server.

   1. Not sure what Debain version
   2. 400 GB of data ( I think )

Here's the problem

   1. I tried to rsync data from the Debian server to the new Ubuntu server
   2. After a few gigs of data was copied rsync stopped
         1. I killed the process (Ctrl + c)
         2. The new server was locked
         3. Had to hit the power button
   3. Stared over and got the same result. The new server locked up.

We have samba setup on the server. So we tried using a windows program
to copy the data.

   1. We move down the directory structure and try to copy 54g of data
   2. It starts copying and everything is fine
   3. We start seeing errors ( not copying data )
   4. It starts coying data again
   5. We kill the program
   6. Our new server is locked

QUESTIONS

   1. Why didn't rsync work?
   2. Why was the Windows software unable to copy data?
   3. Why did the system (Ubuntu on new server) lock up?

We think it has something to do with long file names and or to many
subdirectories. Were not sure though.