Upgrading to Edgy Eft

Vladimir Kerka kerka at dinmont.cz
Tue Jun 27 21:38:09 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 20:29 +0200, Vladimir Kerka wrote:
>> I really don't understand your statement "very early in the cycle".
>
> It's before UpstreamVersionFreeze. Stuff will be merged from sid with
> partly little regard to breakage, and some stuff, like newer gcc, will
> likely cause breakage even if the devs tried hard not to.
> E.g., in Dapper's unstable phase, X was broken for days IIRC
Does it mean Edgy is in "experimental" now (borrowed term from Debian)?

>> Well, as far as I remember, I added repos for dapper in less than two
>> weeks after releasing breezy and (as I stated in my mail in mentioned
>> thread) the upgrading went very smoothly - that's why I'm little
>> curious about current situation.
>
> I'd say you were simply lucky. Did you dist-upgrade Dapper every day? If
> so, i find it hard that you never saw stuff broken (in more serious ways
> than incorrect dependencies)
That's correct, I'm used to dist-upgrade my Debian and Ubuntu machines
daily, but I was able to manage all the broken things (include broken X)

>> I'm definitely no developer, I can handle some minor problems,
>> especially connected with  setting the system, so I'll wait patiently
>> untill July 13.
>
> I didn't want to come across as saying that you shouldn't run edgy. but
> if you do, be prepared for breakage of all severities, including
> unbootable machine. Read the -devel lists, search for "edgy" on the
> wiki, etc.
To be precise: I think I don't run Edgy till I'll be able to upgrade all
the 500 or more packages. I read -devel list, it's quite interesting on
both distros (especially during flamewar times :-)) )
>> Thank you and all Ubuntu people for your work
>
> Just for the record, I am not affiliated with Ubuntu other than as a
> mere user.
Thank you anway.

HAND

V.

--
Ing. Vladimir M. Kerka
Klukovicka 1530
e-mail: kerka at dinmont.cz
         kerka at chello.cz
web:    www.dinmont.cz

NOTE: rm -rf /bin/ladin
Nedostavam a nerozesilam viry, protoze nepouzivam M$ Windows

Linux is very user-friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are

Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I am sick of compiling Gentoo".

                                          - Jeff Waugh (paraphrased)