Cron problem with 6.06

JimD Jim at keeliegirl.dyndns.org
Tue Jun 27 03:44:29 UTC 2006

kpeil wrote:
> cron does not seem to work for me at all.
>
> I put in an entry to update the time as the built in one does not work.
> It works from the command line.
>
> I'm new to ubuntu/debian but not linux.
>
> I used crontab -e to make the entry as I have on other distros.
>
> Is there something different in ubuntu?
>
> Neil

I put this script in /etc/cron.hourly/ntpdate to update my time every hour:

jim at keelie$ cat /etc/cron.hourly/ntpdate
#! /bin/sh

if [ -x /usr/sbin/ntpdate ]; then
     /usr/sbin/ntpdate time.windows.com > /dev/null
fi

You can change the ntpdate line to this to see if it works:

/usr/sbin/ntpdate time.windows.com >> /tmp/cron.txt

You should see output added to it every hour.  If you see output, then
cron is working.  The next step is to see why it is not working for you
as a user.

Did you add yourself to the crontab group?

Jim
--
         _\|/_
         (o o)