No Wifi with Custom Kernel

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 02:04:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:51:18 -0400, Ylan Segal wrote:
> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>

>> Why don't you simply check for yourself? Since the logs seem to indicate
>> that your kernel tries to load the firmware and fails to do so, I'd
>> check whether your custom kernel has the same firmware files available
>> as the stock one. If it has, you can at least sort this out as possible
>> source of the problem.
>
> Thanks... I check tonight what firmware files are on both kernels and take
> it from there. I don't know that much about the kernel, so I appreciate
> the nudges in the right direction.
>
> Are firmware files something that builds with the kernel? Do they come in
> their own separate package? Is there somewhere I can read about this
> instead of asking (probably the wrong) questions around here?

So I checked /etc/firmware and there was just a folder for the stock
kernel and not my own. I made a symbolic link with my custom kernel's name
and rebooted. Now my wireless works just fine. However, I still don't
understand where the firmware files come from and how to include them in
my custom kernel. Help is appreciated.

Now... I will go back to the iPod thread and see if I can figure out why
my iPod is still nor working.

Cheers,

--
Ylan