Enabling sound Upgrade Issue

Bill Thompson Billt at Mahagonny.com
Mon Jun 26 22:32:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:09:43 +0100
Patrick Drechsler <patrick at pdrechsler.de> wrote:

> Bill Thompson wrote on 26 Jun 2006 21:35:45 MET:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:03:34 +0100
> > Patrick Drechsler <patrick at pdrechsler.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Running alsamixer|alsamixergui (both as user as well as root)
> >> does not show a "menu entry" for DSP. Which "menu entry" did
> >> you change/deactivate/mute to get your sound back?
> >
> > The switch was not in a menu, but on one of the sliders. I'm
> > not at the machine right now, but I believe it was labeled
> > "Digital Output". With alsamixergui I clicked on the speaker
> > icon at the top of the slider bar to turn the port off.
>
> Thanks for taking the time Bill. I do not see anything labeled
> "digital". You can have a look at a screenshot of my alsamixergui
> window at
>
> <URL:http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7482/alsascreenshot1sz.png>
>
> I must be missing something very obvious...
>
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> Patrick

I don't see the DSP switch either, but I do notice that the PCM switch
is off. Try clicking the speaker icons above the PCM slider so that
they are the same color as the one above the "Master" slider. If that
doesn't work, turn some of the other switches on and off and see if that
helps any.

It seems that the upgrade reset different Alsa perameters on various
sound cards. Very bad behavior for a security update.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT at Mahagonny.com