Canna to Kanji, how to do it?

Xurxo Fernandez Gismero xurxo13 at terra.es
Mon Jun 26 18:22:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 11:47 +0100, wapowell wrote:
> You have scim installed and working?  If you can type hiragana then to
> see the kanji is a matter of hitting the space bar before you hit
> enter.  SCIM will then scroll through the kanji that matches the
> reading you typed.  Each time you press the space bar it will go to
> another kanji.  Example, if you want to type 先生 you would
> first have to type the hiragana せんせい then
> press the space bar _before_ you press enter.  I'm not sure if the
> kanji will show up in the mailing list, so if it doesn't just check
> this posting in the forums and you will be able to see the kanji and
> hiragana.
My way:
install:
uim
uim-anthy
uim-applet-gnome

Then I add the applet to the bar and set anthy as default input method.
That way i write with romaji (all characters work), then if I press
shift+space keys it changes to hiragana (you can change to katakana too,
but hiragana should be your default. Pressing space key will give you
the kanjis for that word.
Also try gjiten, in dapper works great.
がんばてね!!
(this way works in openoffice, firefox, console, email...)