shared folder problems

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Mon Jun 26 18:05:52 UTC 2006

Dimitri Mallis wrote:
> i want to share a NTFS hdd that has all my movies & mp3 files & stuff
> on with the rest of my home network
>
> on the wimdows side, i search for all computers on the network & it
> finds all the windows & ubuntu pc's. i click on my ubuntu pc & it
> askes me for a username & password????? so i typed in my username &
> password (as in the same username & password 4 my home folder in
> linux) & that didnt work
>
> on my ubuntu pc, i shared the folder "movies"
> i right click & click share
>
> path = /media/sda5/Dimitri/movies
> share with = SMB
>
> name = movies
> comment  = movies
>
> i checked read only & allow browsing folder
>
> in "general wiindows sharing settings" i have
>
> host discription = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> Domain/Workgroup = MSHOME
>
> WINS server has the top radio button checked = do not use wins server
>

> so thats how i shared it
> then i restarted
> whent places
> network servers
> windows network
> mshome
>
> i can browes all the windows pc's
> when i try browes my self i can see the folder movies
> but when i click on it i get the following
>
> The folder contents could not be displayed.
>
> "movies" couldn't be found. Perhaps it has recently been deleted.
>
> but its there & i want watch the movies with totem???
>
> so what have i done wrong?
>
> any thoughts pls, im seriously confused
>
> thanks

I just did enable SMB sharing on my Ubuntu Box. I think you get
connection as "guest", so you don't have the same rights as you are
logged in local.
For files, try to get read access for everybody, eg:
ls -l
-rw-r--r--  1 thomas thomas  2517 2006-06-26 17:50 jx.log
        ^

or for folders read and execute for everybody, eg:
drwxr-xr-x  2 thomas thomas  4096 2005-10-31 15:43 BACKUP
        ^ ^

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li