encrypted backup

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jun 26 16:05:35 UTC 2006

Ylan Segal wrote:
> If the transfer volume is too big and you need to minimize because of
> bandwidth issues, it might be better [1] if you use encfs. It encrypts
> on a file by file basis, so you can use rsync directly on the files, so
> only the changes files would be transfered. Relatively easy to setup
> (but probably more than gpg, which you seem to be already familiar with):
>
> http://arg0.net/wiki/encfs/intro2

I really like this idea.  Use rsnapshot to manage all of the files,
expiration, etc and then use rsync to copy changes to remote sites.
That way local backups are available for easy recovery and if disaster
should occur, I can get the remote backup, decrypt, and restore.

I like this, I really like this.  I'll publish a how-to on the wiki when
I get it working.

---eric