Merging VCDs to DVD

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 15:11:35 UTC 2006

Read about KVCD. It's a cool format that can put an entire movie into a
single CD-R, with 30-40% improved quality than normal VCD.

On 6/25/06, cesera <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I have a series of ten VCDs that I would like to merge onto DVD. My
> thinking was that a CD holds about 700MB of data, a DVD about 4Gb, so I
> should be able to put 5 VCDs onto a DVD. However I have been trying to
> do this now for 3 days and I am still no further. I have played with
> vcdxrip, ffmpeg, mpeg2enc, (q)dvdauthor and several other tools and I
> have no luck.
>

> Has anyone got an idea on how to do this? I have found several windows
> tutorials on this subject, so it should be possible, but I don't seem
> to be able to do it.
>

> My problem always ends with dvdauthor, no matter what I do I keep
> getting hunderds of lines that say:
>

> WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
>

> My last attempted to insert the VOBUs was something like this:
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     ffmpeg -i fromvcdxrip.mpg -target ntsc-svcd -s 352x240 -r 29.97 - |
> mpeg2dec -s -o pgmpipe | pgmtoy4m -i p | mpeg2enc -f 8 -n p -v 0 -o
> myvcd1.mpg
> --------------------
>

> I thought that the '-f 8' option in mpeg2enc would insert the VOBUs,
> but no such luck.
>

> I am probably trying this the hard way, does anyone know of a better
> way to achieve what I am trying, ie. reduce 5 VCDs to 1 DVD? (I don't
> need a high picture quality, I am starting with the VCDs so I am happy
> with that quality, I just would like to have a lot less disks.)
>

> --
> cesera

gawk; grep; unzip; touch; strip; init, uncompress, gasp; finger; find,
route, whereis, which, mount; fsck; nice, more; yes; gasp; warnquota,
umount; head, halt, renice, restore, touch, whereis, which, route, mount,
more, yes, gasp, umount, expand, ping, bashbug, dump, make clean; sleep