Sucess with dual monitors

Jean Hollis Weber jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Sun Jun 25 02:51:02 UTC 2006

Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> Kill X and then start it again...
>>
>> sudo killall gdm
>> sudo gdm
>
> Better use
>
>   sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Thanks. If I may ask, why is this a better way? As a total
newbie, I'm learning a lot about how to do things from this list,
and would like to try to understand the whys as well.

>> sudo aptitude install xinerama
>
> What???  There is no package called 'xinerama' in Ubuntu.
>
> Xinerama is an X server extension.  You can enable it in the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Thanks for the correction and info. The combination of ignorance
and a bad memory leads me to make some rather, er, creative
statements. Sorry if I confused or mislead anyone!

Cheers, Jean