USB-scanner permissions

acrider ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Jun 24 19:53:49 UTC 2006

Since I couldn't find any solutions on this forum, I tried a Google
search which led me to a related article on the Gentoo wiki
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner), and based on
that article I managed to come up with a solution.  I added the line

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0118", MODE="666",
GROUP="scanner",

RUN+="/etc/hotplug.d/usb/libsane.hotplug"

to the file /etc/udev/libsane-extras.rules (from the package
libsane-extras).  This solved the problem for me.  The values I used
for idVendor and idProduct were obtained from the command
sane-find-scanner.  I don't know if there is a better solution, but at
least this one worked for me.

--
acrider