possible solution if you are having problems with 686 kernel

clivewagenaar clivewagenaar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 10:35:31 UTC 2006

Xurxo Fernandez wrote:
Dell 630m and having problems with 686 kernel after updating from
breezy. CPU went from 1-2% usage in 386 kernel to 20-30%.

I have a dell XPS2 with a M770 processor.
I also had the CPU running high at idle after installing the 686 kernel.
I found this link and it works for me.
(I then had to CTLR-ALT_BACKSPACE or reboot to get it to use this
modification.)

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=194833
Quote:

Add this to /etc/rc.local:

echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate
Now I'd be the first to admit I'm no Linux Guru. My educated guess the
problem is solely in SMP support in the 686 kernel being enabled for
processors that have no need for it. (aka my Pentium M)

Anyways, I'm glad I can run the 686 kernel on my laptop with less cpu
usage and cooler (The fans were kicking on all the time before this)
This is what you should do if you want to use a 686 kernel.
End Quote

Clive

e-mail:clivewagenaar at gmail.com
skype (text or voice) on Linux desktop:clivewagenaar6999
skype (voice only) via CIT Linksys Cordless:wagenaar6888
GNU/Linux user #419390