Playing a DVD

Jean Hollis Weber jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Sat Jun 24 08:35:56 UTC 2006

Nik wrote:
> Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
>> I'm trying to play a DVD. When I insert it, the Totem Movie
>> Player comes up and starts playing the sound, but it shows only a
>> black screen. Also it loops on what I guess is the first track of
>> sound (music), which runs for about 60 seconds and then repeats.
>> It's possible that the first 60 sec of the DVD is black, with
>> music, and then goes into the opening scene. I have played this
>> DVD before, but I don't remember that level of detail.
>
> If you start Totem from a console and then try to watch a DVD, what errors,
> if any, are shown?

Okay, trying it with Totem (instead of xine), I am now seeing no
video and hearing no sound. (In xine I get the beginning video
and sound, before it crashes.)

Here's the start of what I get in the terminal window:

jeanweber at ubuntuhollis:~$ totem
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1.1.1 from http://xine.sf.net
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdc mounted on
/media/cdrom0 for CSS authentication
libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/jeanweber/.dvdnav/.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f70000.
Regions: 4

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000189
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0

[following by a long string of lines similar to the last two]

--Jean