Slow IDE with Nforce3

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 05:09:46 UTC 2006

On 6/23/06, JimD <Jim at keeliegirl.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Did you try putting an entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist?

Tried that just now, ide_generic doesn't get loaded, amd74xx gets
loaded instead, still have all the same problems (seems to indicate a
hardware problem, however, the BIOS settings check out, the cable is a
brand new 80 wire, and the system worked well under Hoary).

> What do you get from this command (replace sda with your disk):
>
> sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

A couple thousand Mb/s on -T (cached) and between 500k/s and 1Mb/s on
-t (buffered).  Playing around with the various settings like multiple
block reading (between 0 and 16), unmask IRQ, 32/16bit, etc can get me
up to about 2Mb/s sometimes...  still horrible.

I'm going to try replacing the cable, but I seriously doubt it's
hardware-related...  the system's been running great for a few months.

--tim