Kernel Compilation Woes [was Re: iPod Isssues]

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 03:11:20 UTC 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 09:00, Ylan Segal wrote:
> Brian McKee wrote:
> > Here's that link I was looking for
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=43065&highlight=compile+kernel+d
> >pkg
>
> OK, so after reading the link you provided and poking around the
> Internet some more, I decided to roll up my sleeves and try to compile
> my own custom kernel in order to get my iPod working. I got my nose
> bloody a few times along the way but finally got the kernel to compile
> like this: (but keep reading, I still have problems)
Hey, you don't need me at all! :-)
I'm no guru either - especially here in Debian land....

Here's what I can tell you.

1 - your iPod should work - just tried mine and it does
    (of course, I didn't try it before I rebooted to the new kernel,
     so I'm assuming it wasn't working before, but hey, between the two
     of us we've got it nailed :-)

2 - your wireless isn't working because I believe some wireless driver modules
    like some propriatary video card drivers have to be recompiled for the
    kernel you are running.   If this was a different distro I'd say you
needed to do
    cd /usr/src/linux && make modules && make modules_install.  Unfortunately,
    don't understand how to get the modules built using the make kpg commands.
    Hopefully an old hand at Debian/Ubuntu will step in here?
    There is some info at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper
    I don't want to advise too much here, as I don't want to muck up your
modules
    for the stock kernel.

3 - your version number is weird - I've got 2.6.15.5 on the kernel I compiled,
    but that's likely because I downloaded that kernel source a while ago.
    synaptic shows me 2.6.15.43 is current version?

Brian