Sucess with dual monitors

Jean Hollis Weber jean-ooo at taming-openoffice-org.com
Fri Jun 23 23:13:39 UTC 2006

phenix777 wrote:
> So, here's what I've tried:
>
> 1)edited xorg.conf
> [...]
>
> So, I figured out how to reload X (I think).  I press ctrl-alt-F1 to
> switch to command line and ctrl-alt-F7 to reload X.

Did you do these steps on the command line (F1) screen? I don't
know much about it, but I don't think just switching between the
two will reload X.

Quoting from a note from Daniel Carrera:

Kill X and then start it again (note: gdm == "Gnome Display
Manager").

sudo killall gdm
sudo gdm

If all goes well you should be back on the GUI soon.

What if it doesn't work?
------------------------
Restore the backup and restart X.

sudo cp ~/xorg.conf-backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo killall gdm
sudo gdm

> Now, what happens???  Nothing.  X works fine but I still have two
> mirrored monitors, just like before.  I want one large desktop.
> Perhaps this has to do with xinerama?  I'm just not sure.

Have you installed xinerama? If not, dual screens won't work.

sudo aptitude install xinerama

> P.S. - I think I still need to add  "device" section.  I will try and
> then let you know if it worked.  Thanks.

You definitely need to add or edit the "device" section. What got
it working for me was adding the "Option" lines in the two Device
sections, as shown below.

Section "Device"
     Identifier    "Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics
Device"
     Driver        "i810"
     BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
     Screen        0
     Option         "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier    "Device1"
     Driver        "i810"
     BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
     Screen        1
     Option         "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
#    Option        "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
EndSection

--Jean