mc in XUbuntu 6.06 terminal

Roby electricalsciences at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 23 13:37:05 UTC 2006

When run in a XUbuntu 6.06 terminal window, mc has no F10 key legend,
although it's there when I start mc from a text-mode console.

I am accustomed to exit from mc's built-in editor with F10 - saves
my edit and returns to the mc file manager.  That still works from
text-mode.  From the gui terminal, F10 just opens an exit menu.
My edit is lost unless I first save it with F2 ... and I am returned
to the desktop without going to the file manager.

How can I give F10 functionality back to mc?

Thanks
Roby
(Pentium 200 mHz, 128 mB ram.  Really)