Screen resolution problems

paul marwick paulm at waitrose.com
Fri Jun 23 14:13:18 UTC 2006

In article <1151053830.5360.3.camel at localhost>,
Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:

> My message was hopelessly unprecise, what I meant was to edit the driver
> line to read "nvidia". That may be what you did, I don't know.

:) I'm glad I'm not the only one that suffers from lack of precision.
In fact, I did understand exactly what you meant, and did change the
driver line from nv to nvidia. Which caused X to lock up. I guess its
an old video card...

Anyhow, I _think_ I've fixed it. Wish the method had been slightly more
scientific...

After trying to boot without 'vga=791' in the Grub command line (which
didn't help), I dug out the Ubuntu 6.06 Live/Install CD and booted from
that. Using it, X came up in 1200x1024. So I copied the xorg.conf it
produced and compared it to the one produced by my running
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. There seemed to be only a few
differences - the new config loaded an 'i2c' module where the old on
loaded 'glcore'. The new one also offered some extra resolution

"1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400"
"640x480" as opposed to

"1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

I saved a copy of my original xorg.conf and then replaced it with the
one generated by the live CD boot. Which worked, but only a couple of
times. Then the system started coming up in 640x480!

Anyway, I eventually used ddcprobe to determine the horizontal synch
and vertical refresh frequencies of the monitor and added them into
xorg.conf, which seems to have fixed it. Well, I've been able to
restart the machine several times and its come up in the correct
resolution each time so far. Hope it keeps it up...

paul.

paulm at waitrose.com
Marwick Computer Services - Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, UK
OS/2, LAN and general Computer Consultants