Command line equivalent for ethereal

Olivier Picquenot oli at aurait.eu
Fri Jun 23 13:57:19 UTC 2006

> I'm suffering from an intermittent upstream connectivity problem.  I would
> like to capture some data to try and understand the problem better.
>
> Unfortunately, the only boxes I have in the right place on the network to
> capture the data do not have X installed and Ethereal demands X as a
> dependency.  I'd rather not install X windows and the related software on
> remote server just to capture data.
>
> Does anyone know of a program that's roughly equivalent to Ethereal for
> capturing packet data that will work just from the command line and is
> available for Ubuntu 6.06?
>
> Scott K

tcpdump ?

And it's available in main :

Package: tcpdump
Section: net
Installed-Size: 640
Maintainer: Romain Francoise <rfrancoise at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.9.4-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.3-1), libssl0.9.8 (>=
0.9.8a-1)
Filename: pool/main/t/tcpdump/tcpdump_3.9.4-2_i386.deb
Size: 289344
MD5sum: 28f45ff6994990e7692f770c1bd32e39
 This program allows you to dump the traffic on a network. tcpdump
 is able to examine IPv4, ICMPv4, IPv6, ICMPv6, UDP, TCP, SNMP, AFS
 BGP, RIP, PIM, DVMRP, IGMP, SMB, OSPF, NFS and many other packet
 types.
 .
 It can be used to print out the headers of packets on a network
 interface, filter packets that match a certain expression. You can
 use this tool to track down network problems, to detect "ping attacks"
 or to monitor network activities.
 .
 Further information is available at <URL: http://www.tcpdump.org/>
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu
Task: ubuntu-standard, kubuntu-standard, edubuntu-standard, xubuntu-standard