Command line equivalent for ethereal

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jun 23 13:41:39 UTC 2006

I'm suffering from an intermittent upstream connectivity problem.  I would
like to capture some data to try and understand the problem better.

Unfortunately, the only boxes I have in the right place on the network to
capture the data do not have X installed and Ethereal demands X as a
dependency.  I'd rather not install X windows and the related software on a
remote server just to capture data.

Does anyone know of a program that's roughly equivalent to Ethereal for
capturing packet data that will work just from the command line and is
available for Ubuntu 6.06?

Scott K