Top-posting [Was: Installing with apt-get]

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Fri Jun 23 09:44:59 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> 1. I use Gmail via Web, which defaults to top-posting.
>
> So do I. So when I reply I hit Page Down once or twice to get to the
> bottom. It's no more difficult than lifting the toilet seat before
> peeing.

Great.. and I assume you also snip away any quotes that aren't relevant
for your comment(s) right....?  Because the ONE thing I dislike more
than top-posting is bottom posting where you have to reach for the
scroll bar or page-down key and do some serious downward navigation
before you get to some new comments..  More often than not I just don't
bother and delete such a post. (Unless the topic is enormously
interesting or entertaining)

I would never quote more than a couple of lines before adding some new
lines of my own unless there really was no other way.

> If you like the commercial way of doing things then why are you on the
> mailing list for a non-commercial OS? For that matter, does the
> commercial OS even _have_ a mailing list?

Yes they do.  (Or forums/newsgroups, anyway)

> What is meant be "the commercial way of doing it", anyway?

He means business correspondence.  So business e-mails, regardless of
what OS/email client they're written on.

Cheers,
Chanchao