Top-posting [Was: Installing with apt-get]

Thiers Botelho thiersb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 01:03:46 UTC 2006

Adding my 2 cents to this immortal discussion . . .

1. I use Gmail via Web, which defaults to top-posting.

2. When writing / replying to uh, er, "normal" people I always do
top-posting. It's the commercial way of doing it as I've witnessed it
thru the last decade or so.

3. When posting to mailing lists I _try_ to always do bottom-posting.
Although I have to bend Gmail's ways to achieve it, it's the only way
to achieve acceptance, recognition, glory and helpful replies from the
lists.

4. When reading from mailing lists I absolutely don't care if postings
come top- or bottom- or interleaved-formatted. Since I don't pay
anything for hittting PgUp & PgDn keys as many times as required, all
3 ways require about the same effort to read.

5. I do recognize that sometimes people abuse form and trample
content. Take for instance this hilarious example, picked from a
thread where people got carried away at insterspersing text and
managed to reach the pinnacle of obscurity:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2006-June/083151.html

(of special note to any one trying to read aforementioned posting: pay
special attention to the quotation added at the bottom. It somehow
fits nicely with the feelings that the poster and his interlocutor
expressed towards each other throughout the thread).

Cheers

Thiers