CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries (ERRORS)

Adam D emlists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 00:40:25 UTC 2006

Robert Wallace wrote:
> w1z4rd,
>
> You need to use "sudo update-desktop-database -v" you need the -v in
> order to get the detail as to which file is causing the problem.
>
> I've kinda cleaned up the instructions and posted them here
>
> http://blog.siliconchaos.net/articles/2006/06/20/my-desktop-got-eggd

Nice work Robert

> hope this helps....
>
> Robert

Also,

What I did after the sudo update-desktop-database was to edit each file the output showed it had caused the issue.  Sadly for helping I don't have any examples to show right now because after doing the update I went in manually and deleted the duplicates or or other errors in the individual files and then re-ran the update...  and ever since and after months of anoying CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries (ERRORS) 'This house is clean.' :D

cd /usr/share/applications

(edit files after the verbose shows are errored)
update-desktop-database again and this time.. should see no errors :)

-Adam

> On 6/21/06, w1z4rd <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:
>>
>> w1z4rd Wrote:
>> > I think I just made mine worse.... ive got this error everywhere now :(
>> > This is what I did:
>>

>> Code:
>> --------------------
>>   >   > w1z4rd at b0x:~/src/fluxbox-1.0rc$ cd /usr/share/applications
>>
>>   > w1z4rd at b0x:/usr/share/applications$ sudo update-desktop-database
>>
>>   > 'ould not parse file
>> '/usr/share/applications/kde/kcheckgmail.desktop': desktop entry
>> contain unknown encoding 'UTF-8
>>
>>   >

>>   > ** (process:32046): CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries_add_group:
>> assertion `egg_desktop_entries_lookup_group (entries, group_name) ==
>> NULL' failed

I had thought to del the .desktop file and or the actual package but that was totally unnecessary and sadly had to be edited by hand.