Webcam support under Ubuntu Dapper

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Jun 22 18:26:37 UTC 2006

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster at theclickstore.se> writes:

> I have to say that the above web site(s) is full of information but
> poorly organized and hard to use. What is needed is a simple HOWTO that
> everyone can use.

http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/index.shtml  ??

My 7 US$ web cam (it's video module at least) is said to be also
supported by spca5xx, and I've installed the developer's test code,
etc.  The cam is detected and a /dev/ device is made, etc, but
application code (eg, camstream package) can't find it:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 093a:2468 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Easy Snap Snake Eye WebCam

$ caminfo
CVideoDevice::ResetImagesRGB()
CVideoDevice::ResetImagesYUV()
Detected 0 Video4Linux devices.

In case y'all haven't figure out the basics yet, when you plug in the
USB device, the kernel should load it's driver and you should see
evidence in /var/log/messages (and/or syslog and/or kern.log) and in
output of "lsmod".  You can also load the driver module(s) by command.
At this point, the /dev/video0 device and /dev/video link should have
been automatically created.  And AFAIK, the latter should be used as a
Video4Linux device by apps like camstream.  It fails for me, but I
didn't feel like bugging the driver developer, etc.