PHP, (X)HTML Konsole Help

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Thu Jun 22 17:20:37 UTC 2006

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:

> On 22/06/06, NoWhereMan <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:
>> that looks to me more like a parse error of the browser :p
>
> No, it works like this. < and > are the beginning and end of the
> comment tag. The beginning of the comment is !-- and the end of the
> comment is --. That's going back to SGML. Firefox has had this
> reported as a bug twice (more recently by myself) and the issue has
> been closed. It's such an issue that, although not CSS related, it is
> incorperated into acid2. However, it may be removed, as one of the
> acid2 developers has changed his mind about it.

Hmmm... My "DocBook Publishing" (XML) book says that "<!-" and "->"
start and stop (XML) comments.  They work in firefox, but I'm guessing
it's not legit.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
says that "<!" and ">" demark SGML code within an XML doc.  It need
not contain a comment. Within SGML code, "--" toggles commenting on
and off.  So "<!-- comment 1 -- not a comment -- comment 2 -->" is not
a comment, though it contains two comments.  But in firefox (with
default or XHTML DTD), it's all comment.