XFCE4 desktop

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu Jun 22 13:46:00 UTC 2006

Toby Kelsey <toby_kelsey at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>   Nice list...but that would uninstall Thunderbird among other things.
>
> Just reinstall ubuntu-desktop afterwards to get the standard versions back. As
> long as you don't remove config files it shouldn't affect your personal
> settings.
>
> Another useful step no-one has mentioned is to install and run deborphan to find
> unused library packages.

Another way to go is to find all packages that xubuntu-desktop depends
on but ubuntu-base and ubuntu-desktop does not.

The following shell script should write this package names to
"/tmp/result". After checking if it it what you want uninstall the
packages with
 xargs -a /tmp/result apt-get remove

Maybe it needs apt-rdepends installed first, I'm not sure if it is by default.

,----[ uninstall-xubuntu.sh ]
| #!/bin/sh
|

| to_remove="xubuntu-desktop"
| shift
| except="ubuntu-base ubuntu-desktop"
|
| f_remove="/tmp/remove"
| f_except="/tmp/except"
| f_result=/tmp/result
|
| rm "$f_remove" "$f_except" "$f_result"
|
| apt-rdepends "$to_remove" | grep '^[^ ]' > "$f_remove"
|
| for i in $except; do
|  apt-rdepends "$i" | grep '^[^ ]' >> "$f_except"
| done
|
| grep -F -v -f "$f_except" "$f_remove" >> "$f_result"
`----

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>