syncing PC and laptop

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 12:44:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 13:48 +0200, Alexandre Franke wrote:
> On 6/22/06, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> > I haven't been able to find anything for syncing my laptop and pc to
> > each other so they always have the same files in specific directories -
> > is there anything out there I've missed?
>
> There are lots of possibilities. rsync is one of them, but I'd rather
> suggest http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~harmony/

rsync is fine if you are always synchronising in on direction only,
e.g., from laptop to PC. If you want bi-directional synchronisation,
then I would recommend Unison. There is a command line interface and
alos quite a nice gtk based gui interface. It will use ssh for the
communication.

I don't know about harmony.

Regards,
Tony.