Playing a DVD

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Jun 22 07:57:37 UTC 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:

> I'm running Ubuntu-desktop-6.0.6 64 bits Live CD with only Totem
> installed.  Any chance for me playing CD/DVD movie?  I have a CDRom and
> DVD writer installed on the box.  The Live CD is now on CDRom.  TIA

No problem.  There's some legal & licensing reasons why it doesn't just
work out of the box, but not problem to enable it.

Same is true for MP3 music, MPEG video in general, WMV video, etc, etc.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

This is pretty much the first page I go to after installing Ubuntu
somewhere. :)

Cheers,
Chanchao