Rhythmbox doen't play

Jochen Skulj jochen at jochenskulj.de
Thu Jun 22 05:13:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

Matthew Nicholson schrieb:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 06:41 +0200, Jochen Skulj wrote:
>> Since a couple of days I have major problems using rhythmbox. It often
>> occurs that it doesn't play. Instead of this, the progress slider keeps
>> standing at 0:00 and jumps back to that position if I try to drag it on
>> another position.
>>
>> If I start rhythmbox in a terminal I get following warning:
>>
>> (rhythmbox:5480): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to start mDNS browsing
>>

> this has to do with dapp (iTunes) music sharing. its harmless. it means
> the avahi-daemon package isn't installed, do it cannot browse for
> shares/share your music. it shouldn't have anything to do with the other
> problems you reported.

Yes, I have now noticed that this warning appears always. So it has
obviously nothing to do with my problem.

>> This problem occurs quite often, but  not always. Until now I haven't
>> found a better solution than booting in these cases. There might be some
>> process blocking the audio system (which I may can kill), but I don't
>> know which.
>>
>> From my point of view this problem exists since the recent major Gnome
>> update. I can't remember having issues with rhythmbox under Dapper before.
>>

> what rhythmbox version are you running? ubuntu? do you have the
> gstreamer-plugins for whatever type of audio file your attempting to
> play installed? rhythmbox has moved to gstreamer-10, from 8, so if you
> used to have them, you might not now.

Actually I did a fresh install of Dapper a couple of weeks before. So I
am running rhythmbox 0.9.3.1, gstreamer-10 and the plugins for MP3 (
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse,  gstreamer0.10-plugins).

Jochen
--
Jochen Skulj
http://www.jochenskulj.de