I updated the kernel to 2.6.17.1 no problem...Wireless in dapper...go suck eggs

bugman bugman at optonline.net
Wed Jun 21 23:12:52 UTC 2006

Well, I heard that 2.6.17.1 supported the Broadcom chipset.  Plus,  I always wanted to compile a kernel just to see if I can do it.  The how-to's are a lot of help and dapper runs much faster with the new kernel.    Yup, configured it to use the Broadcom module (stock (default) with this version), all dependencies too.  Modprobe sees the device.  Moreover, it sees many wireless networks in the area,  it just will not connect.  No security on my local network, it is open, and dapper fails to connect.  Tried the same card and drive in another laptop with windows (both XP and Vista) and it connected without a hitch.  The only thing not working here is linux.