Ubuntu 6.06 LTS hangs at Uncompressing Linux...

Nicholas Kline kakster7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 21 21:19:10 UTC 2006

Thank you so much for replying with some suggestions.  Regarding the first suggestion:

1. verify the md5sum of the ISO/CD you burned to make sure that it
mathes the md5sum from the Official Ubuntu mirror (if they don't match, you
will need to re-download the ISO or burn the media unto a different CD using
another computer -- if possible. In vmware you can also use ISO files
directly, so, no need to waste CDs trying. Just assign the ISO itself
to a device)

results:

I used an md5 checksum applicatoin called md5summer (www.md5summer.org).  I performed a check on the md5 file located on the Ubuntu 6.06 server cd.  Md5summer displayed the following two errors:

.\install\netboot\pxelinux.cfg\default ERROR: F:\.\install\netboot\pxelinux.cfg\default does not exists.
.\install\netboot\pxelinux.0 ERROR: Checksum did not match.

So I redownloaded the iso from ubuntu.com and ran the check again.  Md5summer displayed the following two errors:

.\install\netboot\pxelinux.cfg\default ERROR: F:\.\install\netboot\pxelinux.cfg\default does not exists.
.\install\netboot\pxelinux.0 ERROR: Checksum did not match.

They seem to be the same errors.  Is this normal?

2. change your disk type from SCSI to IDE. SCSI is the default and it
works great, but, every now and then it just bombs you. IDE always work, at
least for me. Just go to your virtual machine settings and remove the device,
then add an IDE disk.

I created a new virtual machine using the IDE disk type.  However the system still hangs at 'Uncompressing linux...' when booting.

Any other thoughts?  Thanks.

Nick