Stupid end-user tricks: darcs for /etc and /boot

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Wed Jun 21 19:59:56 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>> Nit-picking never helps your argument.
>>
>> Yes, it does. It shows where weak points are and that his basis
>> for the criticism was not valid.
>
> Nit picking does not show weak points.

Sensation: Disagreement.

> You are debating a point which is
> no consequence to the OP's argument. He says that etc-update prompts the
> user about important changes. You say that it also prompts the user
> about unimportant changes. So what?

"So what"? He said, that only "important" changes are shown. That's
simply not true - or to use your words: It's a lie. Actually, I now
think that it's no "nit picking" to clarify wrong statements.

> The poster's position is still
> correct,

No, it's not. It never was.

> and the validity of your comment does not weaken his argument.

As his argument was based on wrong assumptions, I've got to disagree
once more.

> To show that an argument is incorrect you must show that either the
> premise is incorrect or a logical step is flawed.

Done.

>> No, it doesn't. It shows, where the real issue is.
>
> Telling us that etc-update prompts about unimportant changes

You're really annoying...

I actually did not say, that "unimportant" changes are shown as
well. Just read what I've wrote.

> does not
> show where the real issue is, since the topic at hand is what happens
> with important changes.

All changes are shown. And that might be an issue - but that has
nothing to do with etc-update. If you use dispatch, you've got
the same issues. That shows, that the issues he complains about
don't have anything to do with etc-update.

>>> and makes it look like you have no real arguments.
>>
>> The argument is, that his argument has no basis.
>
> Telling us that etc-update prompts about unimportant changes does not
> remove the basis of his argument. It is quite irrelevant.

No, it's not irrelevant. It shows, that he doesn't have the facts
correct.

>> Yep, you think that each and every program is dangerous.
>
> I have not lied about your position,

Yes, you did.

> I would be grateful if you did not
> lie about mine.

I don't. What I sated as your position is just a consequence of what
you've written; maybe an extreme consequence, but none the less, a
consequence. Since you think you've got the right to "forget" important
parts of my position, I think it's just fair that I've got the same
right. No?

> I only restated your position after I asked you and you
> said "yes". I said that it seemed that by your definition any software
> product and even sharp knives aren't dangerous because they require user
> action and you replied "yes".

That's not how I wrote it. At best, it's an extreme generalization of what
I've written.

> On the other hand, I never said that every
> software product was dangerous;

So, what? I never said that knives aren't dangerous.

> you never asked if that was

True.

Alexander Skwar
--