Webcam support under Ubuntu Dapper

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Wed Jun 21 17:12:56 UTC 2006

Dave M G wrote:
> Ubuntu Users,
>
> I have Ubuntu LTS, and a Logitech webcam. I believe there is support for
> it in Linux floating around, but it's hard to determine the extent of
> support, and how to get it.
>
> My goal is to get some kind of internet video telephony working.
>
> I came across this page which has drivers to download:
> http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
>
> But after running through the instructions, and without errors, I'm not
> sure what to do to test if my camera is working. I have Skype, but it
> doesn't seem to present options for video in Linux.
>
> Surely I'm not the first and only person to want to set up a web cam for
> internet calls on Dapper. Yet there seems to be a lack of howtos or
> instructions. Perhaps I'm just not using the right search terms.
>
> Can anyone point me to a guide on how to get web cam set up for video
> calls in Dapper?
>
> --
> Dave M G

Hello Dave

Check this page http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

The spca5xx driver is already included in Ubuntu Dapper :-) But I don't
know which release.

Check http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html to see if your cam is
supported by spca5xx. If so, it should work out of the box. Just plug in
the cam and use it. There is also spcaview available to test webcam,
but you have to compile it (it is not in the repositories of Ubuntu:-( ).

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li