sshd

Dick Davies rasputnik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 15:37:24 UTC 2006

On 21/06/06, Dick Davies <rasputnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/06/06, ubuntu at rio.vg <ubuntu at rio.vg> wrote:
> > Gunnar Salbeck wrote:
> > >
> > > After installing Ubuntu sshd is not installed yet.
> > > If someone install the package "openssh-server" he should know how to
> > > configure it.
> > >

> > I don't think this assumption is accurate.
>
> If it isn't, we should be installing a firewall by default.
> Sadly, I think you're right. With the current setup:

Hold on. I've just realised why it's the way it is.

Traditionally, PermitRootLogin is disabled, because someone could
then  bruteforce a password over ssh and get root access.

with ubuntu, it doesn't matter whether PermitRootLogin is enabled
or not. People can *still*  bruteforce a password over ssh and get root access,
as your normal user password is enough for sudo to let them destroy your
box.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/