[Semi-OT] Palm suggestions?

Julio Biason julio.biason at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 15:06:31 UTC 2006

On 6/21/06, ubuntu at rio.vg <ubuntu at rio.vg> wrote:
> It really depends on what you want to do with it.  Do you want an MP3
> player that will also keep track of a few addresses?  Or do you want a
> device to primarily keep organized your contacts, calendars, and day to
> day affairs with little direct input (all data comes in synced)?
>
> For the latter, the traditional PDA functions, the Palm OS based devices
> are regarded as the superior.  However, Palm OS doesn't do well outside
> that niche.  I've known many a techie who wanted a pda, but really
> didn't have as much need for the traditional PDA function and was more
> looking for something cool.

You are right. I want something that I could keep contacts, calendars,
notes and such. The MP3 player would be a plus.

Just for curiosity, I decided to check the Palm web page and got my
eyes on LifeDrive. It is a Palm device with a 4Gb harddisk and it has
the ability to play MP3 (no information about Vorbis, but I can live
with that -- or fix it :) ). So far, I got quite impressed with it,
but I'm not sure if it will sync with my Linux box using normal Pilot
tools and/or evolution. Also, with so much features cramped into a
small device, I'm not sure if it will fullfil my needs without too
much annoyance.

Linux support for the device itself seems very slow. Handhelds.org
points that now it can boot and work, but it hasn't support for sound
(and wifi, if I'm not mistaken). I could live with PalmOS, but the
same site says you can't take a note while listening to some song,
which sounds pretty bad.

--
Julio Biason <julio.biason at gmail.com>