[Semi-OT] Palm suggestions?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Jun 21 13:11:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:31:52AM -0400, Tony K. wrote:
> Nokia 770.  It runs linux.
>
> http://www.nokia.com/770

I have one and love it.  I do not use my Palm Tungsten T any more.

> On 6/20/06, Julio Biason <julio.biason at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hello people.
> >
> >I decided to finally buy a palmtop, but I'm unsure about which
> >model/brand to buy.
> >
> >I'm looking for something that could be easily connect to my Ubuntu
> >box (for syncing contacts, emails, accessing the internet, anything).
> >Also, if it could play MP3 and have a big storage or work as a USB
> >storage, that would be a plus. :)

The 770 plays MP3 and if you put an RS-MMC card inside (I've a 1 GB
one), it acts as a USB mass storage device.  It has wifi, it has a real
web browser, it has a PDF viewer, it runs Linux.  It is *great* for
e-books (FBReader).  The upcoming version will have Voice over IP.

It has downsides: no bundled PIM software (calendar/address book).  The
default email client is more or less unusable (no support for IMAP
folders; slow -- I find it more convenient to ssh into my linux box and
use mutt there).

I am confident that the missing software will be written in time (there
are many PIM suites in the works, and some folks at Nokia are working on
a new email reader).

Marius Gedminas
--
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you probably
have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO 9000 then you