getting UID higher that 99999

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Jun 20 21:54:18 UTC 2006

On Saturday 17 June 2006 21:43, The_Eye_In_The_Sky wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> my company is a quite big Unix vendor, thus the NIS is using UID
> higher 99999. To synchronize the Ubuntu with other Linux and Unix
> server, I need to make it capable addressing UID higher than 99999.
> Do you which setup I need to tweak?

Hi,

Bad luck I'm afraid. AFAIK the UIDs on Linux are 16 bit, so they go up
to 65535.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading something about 32
bit uids but don't recall where. Google for "32 bit uid linux" and
see what turns up

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za