hibernate and suspend solved for thinkpad

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Tue Jun 20 02:52:34 UTC 2006

fringd wrote:
> Neither hibernate nor suspend work for me on my thinkpad x60s. If i echo
> mem > /sys/power/state, it goes into a sleep mode of sorts. when it
> comes back (quickly),
>
> the screen off and it makes the login "drumroll" sound. It seems to be
> doing stuff
>
> again, and i can switch to a console terminal blind and type in my
> password and
>
> tell it to reboot. This seems close at least...
>

> hibernate doesn't work so hot. i get the vertical brown lines talked
> about elsewhere.

I had been having problems both hibernating and suspending on my x40.
What I describe below fixed it.

After trying to troubleshoot what was going on for a long while, I asked
  the IT person at my work to email me his /etc/acpi directory. A diff
in directory /etc/acpi/suspend.d revealed only one difference:

diff ./60-generate-modules-list.sh
/etc/acpi/suspend.d/60-generate-modules-list.sh
4,7c4
<     x=`basename $x`
<     # nsc_ircc is safe over suspend/resume
<     if [ $x != "nsc_ircc" ]; then
< 	modprobe -r $x 2>/dev/null;
---
 > 	modprobe -r `basename $x` 2>/dev/null;
10d6
<     fi

After changing
modprobe -r `basename $x` 2>/dev/null;

with
x=`basename $x`
# nsc_ircc is safe over suspend/resume
if [ $x != "nsc_ircc" ]; then
    modprobe -r $x 2>/dev/null;
fi

in file /etc/acpi/suspend.d/60-generate-modules-list.sh

my thinkpad x40 laptop now both suspends and hibernates correctly again.

Jaime J. Davila
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
School of Cognitive Science