An iPod-like player for Ubuntu

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Jun 18 13:20:20 UTC 2006

Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> I've never used iPod. But considering that they have a closed format
> (an no iTunes for Ubuntu), which are some of the other good music
> players and services that people use on this forum?

I have a Samsung YP-U1. I bought it because it plays Ogg Vorbis files:

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/musicplay/0,39050463,39095004p,00.htm

It's shaped differently from an iPod, think of a fat USB key. I happen
to like the shape of the Samsung one better, and I'm happy with the
product. This product actually *is* a USB key, so it is trivially
supported in Ubuntu, and you can use it to store non-music files. I wish
that the playing time was longer. I don't know how long it is (it's
easily 8 hours) but if I start playing in the morning, some time in the
evening it'll go quiet and require a recharge.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org
   "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the