Remote login, graphically?

Waleed Harbi waleed.harbi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 10:50:29 UTC 2006

first check on the remote machine for port 60000 is it open? via netstat
-nap | grep -i tcp command.
Then allow root login through X via gdmsetup command on the remote
machine,then before you start use ssh -X command export this variable in the
remote machine export $DISPLAY="yourIP:0.0" then try use ssh -X

On 6/18/06, Andreas Schildbach <andreas at schildbach.de> wrote:

> Andreas Schildbach wrote:
>
> > I have installed Ubuntu on my mother's machine. Now, I'd like to solve
> > some of her technical problem remotely. I can already login via SSH and
> > fix things with a text editor.
> >
> > Now, I'd like to start several X programs on her machine, but have the
> > user interface on my machine. I have tunneled X through SSH with:
> >
> > ssh -X ...
>
> I have solved this part of the problem. The "BadWindow" error was just
> temporary, it did not show up on successive tries.
>
> But I do notice a strange behaviour. If I have a local Firefox instance
> running, the remotely started instance attaches to the local instance.
> This means that any requests fired from the remote instance are in fact
> fired from the local instance. As the primary goal was to connect to
> services only available in my mothers local network (the admin interface
> of the router), I have to close all local firefoxes before I start the
> remote instance.
>
> Strange behaviour )-:
>
> Thanks to those of you who replied.
>
> Regards,