k7-smp kernel help

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Jun 18 02:47:13 UTC 2006

Kenny wrote:
> <snip>
>>
> Wow, I'm even more sad than before.  Just for grins and giggles I
> tried the regular k7 kernel, and it locked up as well but I was able
> to move the mouse.  It appears that I may have something else going on
> here.  The only kernel that I can use that doesn't cause a lockup is
> the regular 386 one.  Where do I begin to try and figure out what's
> wrong?

Hmm, I thought of a few more things to look at beyond the memtest I
mentioned in my last email.  You might try looking for errors in
xorg.0.log, or in dmesg.  dmesg will only really help if there is an
error that has occurred which has not locked up the system yet.
xorg.0.log is the log file from the previous run of xorg, so it might
have an error message that relates to the crash.  There are a lot of
other log files in /var/log, but I don't know which others to recommend
looking at.  I'm pretty new to Linux myself.

-Matt