Kernel Panics and SATA Errors: ICH7 & WD drives

Thorne Lawler thorin at trouble.net.au
Sun Jun 18 01:27:53 UTC 2006

Felix,

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 06/06/17 06:41 (GMT-0400) Thorne Lawler apparently typed:
>
>>Hard Disks: 2x WD2500JS 250GB SATA-II drives
>
> This is old, but I've not seen anything to indicate an attitude switch
> from WD: http://www.mail-archive.com/expert@linux-mandrake.com/msg54128.html
>
> I'd first try with just one drive or with SATA cables from a source
> other than the motherboard OEM. If neither help, I'd try a non-WD drive.

A complete win2k install and several hours of shunting multi-GB files
around produced zero errors. A ~3HR-per-disk run of the "Advanced"
Hitachi disk fitness tests on each disk produced zero errors.

If there is something wrong with the disks, (a) Everyone else seems to
be able to avoid triggering it, and (b) I am not going to be able to
convince the vendor to take them back a faulty.

Since my last post I have verified that this same problem occurs with
Dapper 32-bit server, Dapper 32-bit desktop and Breezy live-cd.

--
    Thorne Huw Lawler                                 trouble.net.au
    In thy righteousness shall ye say eeeeew.  -- The Babble of Mela