Differences - Boot Sector

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sat Jun 17 18:23:44 UTC 2006

Ted <TGatzaJr at gmx.net> writes:

> Luís Alves wrote:
>> Hi... When UBUNTU is booting this message appear on my screen "There are
>> diferences between boot sector and its backup"!
>> How can i resolv this problem??

I would try using this

    find /etc/ -type f -exec grep -H 'boot sector' {} \;

to find the startup file that is producing the error msg and
see what's going on there.

> I found this discussion on the problem by following the link below to the Ubuntu forum. I edited my /etc/fstab file. I
> located the line
>
> /dev/hda1       /media/hda1     vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       1
>
> and changed it to
>
> /dev/hda1       /media/hda1     vfat    defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
>
> I do not know if it resolves the problem, but the message goes away during bootup.

IIRC, that simply skips the "fsck" file system check for the hda1
partition.  Probably, it skips a whole chunk of script where some
backup MBR is also checked.  (I've never heard of such a check -- it
might be something new. I'll guess you should make a backup of the
backup before backing up the MBR again, since if you keep them the
same, there's no reason to have two, if you know what I mean.)