Gnome profile

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jun 17 18:11:07 UTC 2006

Dieter Schicker wrote:
> sorry, this may be a bit off-topic, but since I'm new to Ubuntu I dare
> to ask this question. Maybe someone can give me a hint.

All Gnome and admin questions are definitely on-topic :-)

> I'm using Dapper 6.06. I have my users login over ldap and mount their
> home directories via NFS. My question is: Is there a way to provide the
> user with a "default Gnome profile" when he logs in for the first time?

Yes, you want to use a tool called "sabayon".

sudo aptitude install sabayon
sudo sabayon

When it starts, click on Add. This runs a virtual X server with Gnome
and all. You can configure it any way you want (change menus, icons,
whatever) and then save it. Sabayon calls this a "profile". You can then
say which users should have this profile (click on Users). One of the
options is "all users". That's the option you are looking for. If you
set a profile to apply to all users, it will also apply to new users
that haven't logged in yet.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org

"You don't build the hoover dam by stacking 2000 honda home
generators end to end. Some things don't scale."