Opening port 8080 on dapper

ben ben at cvrse.com
Sat Jun 17 07:51:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:22:37 -0700
Charlie Zender <zender at uci.edu> wrote:

> None of my dapper machines seem to be able to download data from
> remote hosts via port 8080. The error when trying to access, e.g.,
>
> http://dataportal.ucar.edu:8080
>
> is
>
> Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
> dataportal.ucar.edu:8080
>
> I am told this is a firewall issue. My machines are running
> plain old dapper. I did not know it had a default firewall.
> How do I open port 8080?

dapper doesnt have a firewall installed by default so outgoing
connections are not firewalled, trying to access that site from here
shows the same error however connecting to another site on that port
http://kbreit.dyndns.org:8080/ (just random site from google) it works
fine, which would suggest to me that the site your accessing isnt
listening on port 8080, and it seems to work on the default port 80
fine.
if the above site doesnt work for you possibly u have a hardware router
thats acting as a firewall which u need to reconfigure.

--
ben <ben at cvrse.com>