386-586-686

Matthew Nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Fri Jun 16 21:35:42 UTC 2006

i wanted to hop on this topic because i have thought of this before.
I have a P4, so i know the i686 optimized is the one for me. but,
when setting up my lady with Ubuntu, i began to wonder what might fit
her desktop, which was some sort of amd xp processor, me thinks.

how hard would it be to build a script/meta-package (such as
optimized-kernel or the like) that would look at the processor type,
and then apt-get the right one?

not durring install or by default, of course, but as an extra, much
like build-essential etc...

mat