Removal of OS help

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Fri Jun 16 20:15:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:02 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> 06162006 1501 GMT-6
>
> No. Its a duel boot. He was trying ubuntu with windows. He liked it so
> much that Im installing only ubuntu on his new pc but his old one he
> wants to leave the windows setup alone and just remove ubuntu from
> it.
Assuming the problem is that grub is now part of the ubuntu install and
therefore you get problems if you just wipe ubuntu clean, then...

Put the windows install CD into the drive and boot to it. Press f8
(usually) to get extended options, then boot in rescue mode. In rescue
mode you should get a command line (cli), in the cli type

fixmbr

This will give windows full control of the Master Boot Record by making
a new copy based on the windows bootable partitions it finds. CD out,
restart. Then you can use windows disk management to reformat the space
freed up by not using ubuntu.

Do some research on fixmbr first, I give no promises, but it always does
it for me.

Duncan