ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH CDEMU

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 16 19:35:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:37:44 -0400
"kareem shabazz" <kareem.shabazz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I AM TRYING SET UP UBUBTU DAPPER TO MOUNT CUE/BIN FILES BUT THE ONLY
> REFERENCE I CAN FIND IS TO CDEMU AND I CAN'T FIND IT IN THE REPOSITORIES,
> CAN ANYONE ASSIST? THANKS.

>From "apt-cache show bchunk" :

 The bchunk package contains a UNIX/C rewrite of the BinChunker program.
 BinChunker converts a CD image in a .bin/.cue format (sometimes .raw/.cue)
 into a set of .iso and .cdr/.wav tracks.  The .bin/.cue format is used by
some non-UNIX CD-writing software, but is not supported on most other
CD-writing programs."

I've never had the need for this, but I'm told "bchunk" is the utility to
use for bin/cue files. This looks a lot easier than fiddling with kernel
modules, seems to me... Linux can handle ISO without complex work-arounds,
and mount ISO images using "loop"

sudo mount -o loop /path/to/ISO /your/mountpoint

Should do the trick for an ISO

It appears that cdemu is a kernel module, so you would need to install
linux-headers-$(uname -r) and build-essential, then go through a series
of steps to make and modprobe the module. A quick google on "Ubuntu linux
cdemu bin cue" reveals , amongst other links,

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Mount_ISO_script

Which might help you if you want to make your life complicated :-)
( scroll down on that page to see the instructions for cdemu).

By the way, it's generally considered rude to type your mail in "all caps"
- traditionally this is interpreted as "yelling" or "shouting" , and a lot
of people find it very annoying :-)

Peter